Thread: Metanx
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 10:48 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My Metanx prescription was also declined by Express Scripts for reason that my insurance does not cover it. But it's isn't so clear to me because when I bought it through my local pharmacy, they got approval from my insurance. I am not just sure if they will allow a refill. I started taking it last April 3 so i don't know yet if there will be an effect on my pain. I hope so..does it have a good effect on your neuropathy?

You mentioned about some studies that suggest increased risk of colon cancer with Metanx, did it mention which ingredient/s of Metanx that make it high risk?

I called an online pharmacy that sells Metanx (I forgot the name)- I asked if they have generic, the pharmacist said they do but these are not considered as AB generic.

If I could not get a refill next week, I might just try buying a separate folate to be combined with Vit B12 and Vit B6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV2013 View Post
I have been on MetaNx for several years. Originally started because of homocysteine levels. Express Scripts has posted this message:

Drug Discontinued
Unfortunately, METANX 3-35-2MG has been discontinued by the manufacturer. By law, the Express Scripts Pharmacy can no longer fill prescriptions for this medication.

Recommended Next Step
We encourage you to discuss this issue with your doctor. Your doctor should be able to explain why METANX 3-35-2MG was discontinued and can recommend an alternative medication for your needs.

So, not quite sure what to do, I stopped taking it. Not sure if it is related (but am suspicious it is), but blood pressure has become elevated (especially systolic), mouth ulcers have appeared, and tingling/burning in feet is noticeable.

Fortunately, I have a supply and started retaking it last night. Last two BPs are much better. If all things improve then that will strongly suggest I need MetaNx or equivalent.

One of the things that concern me is the high level of folate in MetaNx, especially with some studies that suggest increased risk of colon cancer with MetaNx.

Assuming that things do improve, then what? Is there an alternative? From my reading here, my hope of finding another Rx solution is slim.

Does this make sense:

Ignore the folate component.

Find a supplement for activated P-5-P (which one and how much)?

Find a supplement for Methylcobalamin (which one and how much)?

Would something like Neuropathy Support Formula from the Neuropathy Treatment Group be a reasonable option?

For my situation, should I focus on B6, B12 or both?

First post -- great information here!
Idiopathic PN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote