Thread: Metanx
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 11:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiopathic PN View Post
My Metanx prescription was also declined by Express Scripts for reason that my insurance does not cover it. But it's isn't so clear to me because when I bought it through my local pharmacy, they got approval from my insurance. I am not just sure if they will allow a refill. I started taking it last April 3 so i don't know yet if there will be an effect on my pain. I hope so..does it have a good effect on your neuropathy?
The tablet form of MetaNx was changed to a capsule. That is the reason it was listed as discontinued. I would need a new Rx for the capsule form. However, MetaNx is listed as a "medical food" which is not covered under any circumstances by my coverage. I have been taking MetaNx since ~1996 (originally prescribed because of high homocysteine). I did not realize I had PN until I stopped taking MetaNx -- shock! Yes it did help me.

Quote:
You mentioned about some studies that suggest increased risk of colon cancer with Metanx, did it mention which ingredient/s of Metanx that make it high risk?
It was folate; however, later studies concluded that no risk exists.

Quote:
I called an online pharmacy that sells Metanx (I forgot the name)- I asked if they have generic, the pharmacist said they do but these are not considered as AB generic.
My local pharmacy told me that a generic was Foltanx manufactured by Breckenridge. My doctor has submitted a Rx to Express Scripts using the generic component formula - I expect to see it rejected too.

Quote:
If I could not get a refill next week, I might just try buying a separate folate to be combined with Vit B12 and Vit B6.
Based on the comments by mrsD that is my strategy. I ordered the CostCo Kirkland B12 5000 mcg, but have canceled the order (gotta find another source since Kirkland does not have 1000 mcg). I was getting 2mg with MetaNx and think I should start with 1mg tabs two a day. I have ordered Solgar - Folate (Metafolin) 800 Mcg and am thinking about the Solgar P5P.

I hate having to fix something that was really not broken.
MikeV2013 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote