View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 09:49 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Jimbo,

Woo Hoo!! Good for you!!!!

Try not to be concerned about the ligament issue.... although it is imperative that it all be removed let's hope the OS did what he said he was going to do.
And try to ignore his remarks.... they were stupid :/

Cutting the tooth in half is actually recommended for the extraction of posterior teeth. I know a lot of dentists do not practice that way but they are suppose to. It allows the dentist to coax the tooth out of the bone with less trauma to the bone. When a posterior tooth is removed forcefully (as in one piece) the bone often splinters from the force. This splintering can occur with any extraction but most often it is due to too much force. When a tooth is periodontally involved and it's just hanging in there by gum tissue, then it can usually be removed in one piece without too much force.

I am glad you have no remorse over the loss of this tooth and that you feel good today!!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Goodbye root-canaled molar!

My oral surgeon made me a little nervous when we talked about the periodontal ligament, he said he doesn't believe it can cause a problem when left, but he would honor my request to remove. When the procedure was over I asked if it was out and he said "I removed the ligaments as best I could"

I shouldn't be worried about that statement, right?
I hope it is all out of there. He did work on me at least 20 minutes, and has been doing this work for many years.

He did say he saw "thickening" of the ligament, prior to the procedure.

Had to cut the tooth in two to remove, and he said it actually looked pretty good, but as I had throbbing pain that came and went for months, and there was some root remaining, I have no second thoughts about trying to save it. And all the arguments made here against dead teeth in the mouth ring true; never again will I go down the root-canal road.

I am surprised how little it hurts so far
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote