View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Jane,

Yea, the clindamycin can cause havoc on your digestive system. However, when those symptoms happen within the first few days of taking this antibiotic.... it indicates that you may not have enough good bacteria in your gut to begin with. The probiotic called Culturelle is an excellent source of Lactobacillus GG which is an essential good bacteria that everyone needs to have an abundance of in their intestinal tract. It is also a bacteria that protects the intestinal wall and can help to prevent you from getting those dreaded symptoms. The best way to build up a healthy supply of this bacteria is to "take this probiotic on a daily basis every day of your life". This way when the time comes to take an antibiotic, you'll be more likely to do so without the other problem. Just throwing that suggestion out there to you

The other thing with oral antibiotics... they take "minimum" of 24-36 hours to get into the system. So when you stop these meds after a few days.... it has not done anything other than upset the bacterial flora in your gut to the point where the good bacteria has been destroyed.

Glad to hear the laser therapy seems to be helping with the numbness. Yes, if you can continue with that ....that would be great!

Bryanna

QUOTE=KSMacy;980523]Thank you and I'm sure you are right about the antibiotics. I don't do well with most medications, and rarely take anything. Here is what was prescribed:
Clindamycin 150MG - take one 5x a day
MethylPrednisolone 4MG Start day after surgery (7 days of this)
Ibuprofen 600MG Take as needed
Hydrocodon-Acetaminoph 7.5-500 - Take 1 tablet every 4-6 hrs

The Clindamycin upset my stomach. I looked it up online and was disturbed by what I read and the side affects. I took it for 3 days and stopped.
I took the Prednisone for 3 days also and stopped.
Never took any pain pills as I managed okay. The worse was the second day but it started getting better by day 3.
I did take Probiotics for 2 weeks as directed by the OS and others.

I had no bleeding or other problems except for the denture which didn't fit correctly and caused much discomfort. I had many visits to the dentist but it never got better. She finally agreed to make me a new set which should be ready next week. I can't wait as I'm having problems eating and lost quite a bit of weight (which I don't need to lose).

I will tell the OS about the antibiotics at my next appointment next week. I just hate taking these things and I have problems with most medications so stay away from them but I will follow up with him. I was very impressed with the work the OS did. I was so nervous and anticipated having a really tough time after. I was asleep for the whole procedure - 3hrs - and recovered quickly. I had some very infected teeth which concerned me and I'm very thankful for finding such a good doctor (I hope).

I just hope my sensation comes back. I can't really purse my lips and have some trouble drinking out of a cup (runs down my face on that side). It seems to have improved with the laser treatment so I will continue it as long as the dentist is willing. She is not charging me for this.

Thank you again for listening and helping me navigate this new chapter in my life,
Jane[/QUOTE]
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote