View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 12:02 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

First, MP is the one condition that gets worse from Standing and walking. No if ands or buts, OUCH!!!! You are going to need to do some Occupational Therapy to find a position while standing that does not cause inflammation and pain. Which basically means, you need to be standing on the other foot, and the MP leg, raise it up on a stool, or something. The OT people have many options. Cane or Crutches if you are walking anything to get pressure off that nerve. Standard Anti-Inflammatories will always help, I used Cataflam, alieve, ibuprofin, and a few other Prescription ones.. cause I needed to rotate them every few years.

Sleeping! Lidocaine Patches! On a Shaven Leg only!!! numbs the pain, and adds a buffer between the skin/hair and the bed/cloths. MP is light touch only, so hair moving, or just brushing of cloths is all the pain. I suffered for years before I figured out that shaving my leg makes all the difference.

Steroid Injections: Steroid Injections for MP are just under the skin right at the point where the LFCN dives under the hip at the waist. Very minor in the doctors office every few months took care of a lot of the pain. Shortly after they figured out I had MP, and started the Injections, I had the surgery to cut the nerve. So I am not sure how effective it was for my standing tolerance, but I know it went from 5-10 minutes to at least a 1/2 hour.

Strength and exercise always helps too, as well as the weight loss. The only way that worked for me is Deep Water Aqua Aerobics. Arthritis Foundation has classes at almost all YMCA's for $1. We also have a Lazy River in our Rec Center, and it is used more for people water walking than people floating around. Greatest Accidental pieces of exercise equipment in the place Local hospital even does their Water Therapy in the Lazy River now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUBuff View Post
I've had MP for about 5 years. Only recently has it gotten painful though. Working 4 or 5 hour shifts constantly on my feet at work are almost impossible to get through. I went to an orthopedic and she advised me to stop sitting cross-legged (which I do all the time). Any second advice on if that really is an irritant? She also prescribed oral steroids, and doing some research it seems like they won't do much good and I'm hesitant to take them. Any advice on that as well?

Thanks!
rMuD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote