Thread: ketogenic diet
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 08:05 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Before my injury I was more or less on a ketogenic diet. I liked it, because it helped eliminate the brain fog and lethargy that eating too much wheat or sugar brought to me. I continued to eat this way for a few weeks after I hit my head. I've since abandoned it, to an extent. I still try to refrain from sugar and wheat, but I've added lots of fruit and starchier vegetables into my diet and I've seen no change for the better or worse, aside from some weight gain (which is also coming from the inability to exercise).

If you are eating this way to lose weight, it will work, unless you completely overindulge, which is pretty hard to do after your appetite adjusts. A better approach, in my opinion, is to just avoid 'processed white foods' - ie sugar, white flour, etc. Ketosis does put a strain on your body - for instance, I had to drink way more water when I ate this way to help with the process - it was very hard for me to stay hydrated sometimes. My advice is to put this off until you feel like you are stabilizing.

Symptoms: Congested/plugged ears (along with post naasal-drip and drainage down back of throat), increased tinnitus, sound sensitivity, minor imbalance, difficulty concentrating, difficulty reading and focusing on words and moving objects.
CountNomula is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote