View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Smile

Hi, jrswannie1. Welcome to the forum.

I think my first questions would be when was I diagnosed with MG and how (i.e., tests like antibodies)? If you had positive MG antibodies, they should have let you know that immediately. Did they do an EMG on you too?

After you know for certain that you have MG, then you can start figuring out what drugs you might take. Mestinon is a "helper" drug that helps with the symptoms but doesn't do anything to counteract the immune attack.

Prednisone is a difficult drug that comes with many potential side effects and is hard to withdraw from. It might not be the best choice for someone with high blood pressure.

Immunosuppressants suppress the immune system to reduce the antibody attack on the muscle receptors.

There's IVIG and plasmapheresis (normally used for an MG crisis but can be a regular treatment). They are more invasive, requiring IV's or ports.

I'm sure you are overwhelmed. Just take one step at a time. Make sure you have MG and then start asking a lot of questions!

Good luck with the appt. There's a lot to learn about MG, so come on back and we'll try to help you out, okay?

Annie

BTW, did they ever figure out why you have high blood pressure at such a young age?
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Geode (05-10-2013), sandy56 (05-07-2013)