View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 01:28 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I met Davis Phinney at the Parkinson's Unity Walk in New York City and he said he was having trouble since he had not been able to cycle. Neither of us had been able to cycle for four days and we were feeling the pain of not doing it. When I cycle all the time, I feel pretty normal, but when I'm on the road it's really difficult to maintain my center of balance physically and mentally if I'm not able to cycle. Fortunately, while walking along in New York City I passed an LA fitness center and when I walked in they allowed me to get on the bike for 15 minutes for free even though I was in my street clothes. Just that 15 minutes helped. Then when I moved on to Philadelphia, my sister-in-law had found an old stationary bike. I could keep my feet on using rubber bands and was able to ride one hour a day for three of the four days we were there. Now I'm in DC and there is no bike at the hotel so I tried the treadmill but that's just not the same. Maybe they'll have a bike over at NIH that I can use after all my Parkinson's testing.

Mark Burek reported that the Albany New York YMCA is ready to open the Pedaling for Parkinson's program at all 15 branches in May. He has done a fantastic job of promoting the program! A big shout out to Mark!
Nan Cyclist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (06-30-2013), soccertese (05-06-2013)