View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 05:00 PM

Location: Somewhere in the Finger Lakes Region of Central NY State
10 yr Member

Location: Somewhere in the Finger Lakes Region of Central NY State
10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford1 View Post
I cannot tolerate either lyrica or Neurontin, so now I am starting on nortriptylene. Only on 23mg so far, but coming off the nerontin brought all my pain back in a hurry. Anyone taking nortriptylene for neuropathy. Any side effects. How much mg's before you got some relief, if any?
I would be curious as to how you got to 23mg. I know they have 10 & 25 mg capsules. I started with 25 mg of Nortriptylene about 3 months ago, but I emptied out about half the contents of the capsules, and took the partial caps for 5 days, then onto the full 25 mg capsules.

I started feeling the capsules just a few days after starting 25mg, but have heard others say it takes weeks to achieve results. 25mg seemed like it was wearing off several hours before my evening dose after I was on it for a couple of weeks. I'm on 50mg now once daily now & it isn't a cure all & won't relieve symptoms altogether. The gabapentin (neurotonin) made my head much foggier, as I went up to 600mg 4x a day by the end of 8 months. I then asked for the Nortriptyline, and I am not sorry.

As a matter of fact, this stuff has caused me to lose 4-5 pounds (curbs my appetite somewhat), but it makes me anxious & jittery, which has settled some, but not entirely. It also gave me insomnia until I hit 40 mg. I've had other side effects, but you should find out for yourself, what it does to you, and not look for something that might not happen. If you look around at medical websites, you'll find it has almost every side effect imaginable, so it would be easy to convince yourself of one or more of them. LOL

I'm guessing you just started the Nortrip & wonder why it's not affecting you as quickly as the Gaba, but it's the nature of the beast. Give it a fair chance. I have an old Navy buddy who started it a few months before me, which gave me a preview, but my side effects are a bit different than his.
groucho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
clifford1 (05-08-2013), eva5667faliure (09-15-2013)