View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default Angioedema as part of MS exacerbation?

I have been dealing with abnormal swelling for a few weeks now. The swelling got bad enough that my PCP sent me to the ER. I did not present as a normal angioedema patient, yet had lots of swelling throughout my body. They are treating it as angioedema and I started taking prednisone, Zantac, and antihistamines. At the ER the dr. mentioned that possibly this was an MS exacerbation. I blew it off as I've never heard of swelling as part of an exacerbation. It make sense that it could because our nerves control everything but I have never heard an MS patient discuss this at all.

I went to my PCP today for a follow up. She too mentioned it could be an MS exacerbation of some form and was glad to hear I see the neurologist tomorrow. We looked over the ER report and discussed that the ER physician mentioned this possibility as well.

I was discussing this with my mom. She was a nurse and actually took care of a patient with MS when she was doing home care. She agreed that it may be an exacerbation or a symptom of an exacerbation.

I understand the mechanisms and the physiology of muscle inflammation. It makes sense to me and I get it but again, I have never heard any MS patient talk about over all body swelling as part of their exacerbation (with the exception of when they take IVSM. I'm a big sweller when I have to do IVSM). So, my question, has anyone experienced this or heard of this as part of their exacerbation. I go to the neuro tomorrow and just want to have some concrete knowledge behind me before I go in.
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
barb02 (05-07-2013), SallyC (05-06-2013)