View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 07:06 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Should I start seeing a doctor now or wait?

I was approved for disability seven years ago and I'm now undergoing a CDR. However, I haven't sought treatment during the past year, so there aren't any recent medical records.

Should I start seeking treatment immediately or wait to see if Social Security requests that I go for a consultative exam?

They received my forms a few days ago, and they don't have any updated information to go on except for what I told them about my condition. My original diagnosis was delusional disorder, but I also have symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder.

I was on Seroquel for a few months while I was in the process of qualifying, but it just made everything worse. I stopped taking it after I learned it causes diabetes and various other health problems. I immediately felt better.

Obviously I need to get a more recent evaluation. Would it be a good idea to schedule an appointment and then let Social Security know that I've started to seek treatment? It might be a few weeks before they make a decision, so I could be seeking treatment during that time and then they'd have something to go on and maybe I wouldn't have to go for the consultative exam.

I realize now that I should have sought treatment during the past year in order to help bolster my case, but since I didn't, I was wondering what the best approach would be at this point.

If they stop my payments, I'm going to appeal. But I was thinking, I might be able to prevent that by starting treatment with a psychiatrist now. Or would it be better to see a psychologist?

I've been reluctant to see a psychiatrist because I don't like being on psychiatric drugs. But I might start taking them again if it could help me retain my benefits.
palomine is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote