View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 09:11 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Flkeulargo,

This person was congenitally missing these teeth. Which means she had an anomaly in the bone being that there was little height or width to the bone in those areas especially as she went through the ortho. Bone will naturally fill in but the surgeon is basically relying on the graft material to encourage the growth of new bone for the implants to integrate into. This can be challenging in an adult patient more so than a teenager due to the decreased rate of natural bone growth and healing factors.

I agree that the site where the implant failed should have been thoroughly cleaned out during the removal of that implant and left to heal for several weeks or so before attempting to do it again. I am not clear on the sequence of events based on what this patient posted here. So maybe that did take place and she didn't explain it that way...??

I hope this person posts again and updates us on her present status!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flkeylargo View Post
Hi I'm wondering why your oral surgeon is using either mesh or screws to hold in the graft. This would typically be done if the facial or lingual wall was gone. In your case these teeth were never there so that bone should be intact. Also after removing your failed implant the site should have been cleaned and left to heal on its own. Your body will replace the missing bone on its own. Unless he placed the implant in a narrow site and blew out a wall while placing it or did he tap up your sinus? Signs of infection is bad taste swelling puss pain.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote