View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Thanks everyone!

Ann - I just started the steroids the other day. The prescribed it to help decrease the swelling in case it is some sort of allergic reaction.

mrsD - I got some green tea and started drinking that. I also seem to be responding to the medications that they prescribed (prednisone, Zantac, and an antihistamine). The swelling has decreased significantly since I started them. I can actually see the bones on the top of my foot again. The PCP wouldn't prescribe Lasix at this point. The edema is non-pitting and she was concerned about kidney damage. Also, since the swelling has decreased she didn't feel it was necessary at this point. We did discuss that Protonix could have been a culprit in this since I put on a significant amount of weight within a month or 2 of starting it. I had been on it for 10 months and recently stopped. Also, last evening I remembered that one of my prescriptions is a different generic form. I started it in mid-March and the swelling increased by Easter. I called my old pharmacy and got the brand name of what I was taking and my new pharmacy said they will special order that brand for me. I have to do that with the gabapentin as I reacted to another generic brand. I am going to the allergist/immunologist on Thursday and will discuss some of the things you and I PMed about and see about some testing for HAE or acquired HAE. Since this has been a somewhat gradual process it's hard to tell the cause. But over time it has gotten worse. I saw my PCP right after Easter and we discussed it then as the swelling was getting worse and uncomfortable. It continued to gradually get worse after that and started to involve my face and lips more and more.

Kelly - You are so right. It's hard to not know how to fix it. Once we know what's causing it the fixing part will be easier. It's just frustrating.

I see the neuro today and will talk to him about it and see what he says. Like I said, I've never heard anyone talk about swelling as part of a flare, except when they are on IVSM.
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
barb02 (05-07-2013), Kitty (05-07-2013), SallyC (05-07-2013)