View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 06:41 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Bilateral First Rib Fractures from MVA in 9/2012

I was happy to find this blog as I was in a car accident in Sep 2012 that left me with bilateral first rib fractures. My initial diagnosis was Right first rib fracture. I went 60 days before the follow-up xray showed that both sides were broken. The pain would radiate down both of my arms and into my hands, but has gotten better. I am still taking percocet 3-4 x per day for pain management.

My doctor said that first rib fractures are rare, and we have struggled to find anyone who "knows what to do with me".

It has been almost 8 months since the accident, and the ribs are finally starting to form calluses. I would like to avoid rib resection if possible. I found a study from Japan where orthopedic doctors used LIPUS/bone stimulators with great success.

QUESTIONS: Has anyone had any success healing their fractured ribs with bone stimulation? what kind of doctor has initiated your resections?...orthopedic? Thoracic surgeon??

I will be seeing a thoracic surgeon today, but I want surgery to be a last resort. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Mmcnugget is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote