View Single Post
Old 05-11-2007, 02:14 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up The 'Bride/Buddah/Nun' Walk

Since my brain is having so much trouble simply shifting my weight from one foot to the other, we practiced doing it only on the right side for a while. While sitting ergonomically correct, palms up in my lap, I would push gently against the floor with my right foot. Feel the weight shift to my left 'butt bone'. My knee and thigh should initiate this action. Notice how the floor pushes back (equal and opposite reaction)? Now, make the push a little harder - this time as though someone would slide a piece of paper under my right rump. Notice how it causes the spine to lengthen just a bit. The neck lenghtens, right shoulder dips a bit and the head is lifted making me taller. This action causes my left ribs to flex open, like a fan.

Repeated on the left side for a while. Then alternated. It was a bit easier this go around, but still requires a LOT of concentration for me.

I learned how to walk: like a Bride going down the aisle. Hands holding an imaginary bouquet. Not quite pausing with each step but almost. The feet should roll from heel to ball of foot in a smooth action to absorb shock. Carolyn said this is known in Yoga as Buddahs' Meditative Walk. I like to think of it as how a Nun walks - more of a floating-glide, rosary in hands or folded in prayer about bellybutton level. When walking, the back leg 'pushes' me forward onto the front foot. (not the front leg pulling me forward) When doing this correctly, I notice how the side bearing my weight with each forward step is the side that the ribs are flexing open on.

I had previously been walking in a way that compressed the ribs on the side bearing my weight with each forward step - like a little old person with bad hips. Walking in this new way should help with core stability, ribcage mobility and I also notice my abs being a tiny bit flatter!

Moderation in EVERYTHING is key. No extremes. Carolyn talked about how Yoga has been Americanized into a competition. Rooms with temps cranked up to 97 degrees, to attain the most outrageous stretches... pushing muscles to their limits. This is not what the original Yoga was intended for. It was all about the individual and a moderate, harmonious wellbieng of the body.

Feldenkrais is NOT a race or competition. It's training in moderation. A TOSser's body needs this new mindset of comfort within one's own limits.

Here is another move I can do to stretch the nerves in my arm. While lying in bed on my back with an arm outstretched (palm neutral), roll my palm up and try to stretch the hand out a tiny bit, as if lunging with a sword like Erol Flynn. It should be a very small move of hand and arm, but feel it pull the entire shoulder, neck and head ever so slightly? Remember, everything is connected.

------------
I was really sore the next day after this! It wore off by afternoon without a flare.

"It is what it is."
astern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote