View Single Post
Old 05-11-2007, 03:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I have VP shunt also

Hi Millymax,
I also had a subarachnoid hemorrhage in 2004; had a bleed but docs never found out why. Hydrocephalus resulted so docs placed a VP shunt after two weeks in intensive care. A year ago, I had to have the shunt replaced because my head felt like it was going to explode. My doc told me to wait a few months to see if I felt better (this was after doing a pressure test on the line and determined that it had failed). I told them that I wanted the shunt replaced immediately (I got the programmable (Codman).

Has the neurosurgeon done a test on the shunt to see if you are draining? It may be clogged on the distal end (abdomen). If you have never had this done before, it is relatively painless (they insert a needle into the valve and measure pressure). My doc in Boston prefers not do the pressure test unless absolutely necessary.

Also, I noticed that if my clothing is too tight around my abdomen, I develop discomfort in the abdominal region though I have never had redness. I have read that swelling can indicate infection. Have they done a CBC (blood test to check white blood cell count)?

I apologize for being all over the board but there is so much to having a shunt and so little support both mentally and physically at the medical end.

I am chronically fatigued, are you? I can't seem to get through the day without a nap and always have a low energy level.

Hope some of this helps.
Patgab
patgab is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote