View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 10:28 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

HI Bryanna,
Thanks so much for your reply, I really appreciate you taking the time to help everyone here.

To be fair to my dentists, they wanted to pull the tooth back in 2010 but I opted for re-treatment, then when it first flared up again at the start of this year I was told to pull it but ignored that advice because I didn't understand quite how the tooth just harbors this bacteria like I do now. It was when I got the second really bad infection in April that I knew it had to go. So the second round of anitbiotics was my fault for not dealing with it right away. At that point too is when the infection clearly spread much farther up into the bone.

The 3rd round I was put on after the tooth was pulled. So it seems the infected tissue wasn't quite removed properly during the debridement? My concern with taking this next course of amoxicillin is that the 2nd course of amoxicillin couldn't fully deal with the infection, then the course of clindamycin couldn't either (and this was once the tooth was gone), so why should I believe this third course of amoxicillin will? Am I wrong in assuming antibiotics only act to control the infection which will invariably come back (this is why we pull the tooth in the first place)? If antibiotics were capable of eradicating the infection I wouldn't have had to remove the tooth in the first place.

You said the bone graft failed....what does this mean? The graft area itself feels okay, it is above this region where the original infection was (closer to my nose) that the tenderness persists. If I take this next course of antibitics and the infection doesn't subside what would be the next possible course of treatment? What should I be asking my dentist? What exactly is a fistula? I don't have any drainage, so not sure what is going on?

I only buy artisanal non-processed yogurt and eat lots of it, am also on Florastor, so hopefully this will help. Since I finished the clindamycin 36 hours ago the area is already less swollen and less painful then it was when I saw my dentist, this same pattern happened before, can my own immune system take it from here?

Thanks again for your advice.
N2LE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote