Thread: sympathectomy?
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 10:45 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dono View Post
Hi Everyone!!! I had a displaced R Tib/Fib Fx back in 2003. I had an IM Rodding done to fix the FX. I developed the RSD very shortly thereafter! I had gone through 40+ lower lumbar nerve blocks, an epidural cath. and many prescription meds... My Dr. gave me a few choices after nothing was working. Pain pump, SCS, Sympathectomy.
After a lot of consideration I chose the Sympathectomy! After the Sympathectomy I started feeling better. About 6 months or so later the pain was back! My PMP wanted to do another nerve block except this time it would be on the L side. After the block we agreed to meet in his office. He told me I was a very rare case where the nerves on the L side took over for the R side.
He wanted me to go and talk to my surgeon about having a Sympathectomy on the L side. It took a lot of coaxing but he agreed. He advised me there were some risks to having a Full Sympathectomy but I agreed to have it done! After the last Sympathectomy in 2008 I have been in a "Remission" state.
I am NOT saying a Sympathectomy is for everyone, but I think I am in the 10% group. It worked for me and I could not be happier.
In fact I just had another major surgery on my R leg to take the IM Rod and screws out. Unfortunately the Dr. was not able to get my rod out but instead cut about 2" off that was sticking up into my knee area causing me pain. He was able to get all the screws out including the 3 in my ankle. WoW I have not been able to move my ankle like this since the day of the accident in 2003. I am back doing the things I love to do outdoors. I still have a lot of swelling and some pain but NOTHING like it was before the surgeries.

Best wishes Lupus on whatever decision you decide to go with!
Thanks for the post.

Your experience constitutes strong anecdotal evidence against my theory that RSD is two infections. I thought one infection had a life cycle where it was unable to generate pain about 10% of the time and sympathectomies done at this time were successfull.

I'm very happy that your's had positive results.
Imahotep is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote