View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 02:54 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cait24 View Post
Fortunatos, What were your thymus scan finding that made your doctors decide on a thymectomy? Where there nodules, hyperplasia or did they do the thymectomy with a normal scan?

Can you separate how much improvement you obtained from your thymectomy compared to the other treatments?

I have a normal thymus scan. I was hoping for a thymectomy with great hopes of a remission.
thanks
kathie
Hello Kathie, My thymus appeared to be normal, and I had a thymectomy. The concensus for this operation being, the sooner the better. There is a very small population of neurologists who prefer the "wait" approach. Given the stats over the last 30 years, I'm with the "It's gotta go" team... I very
much believe in this.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible for me to say with certainty, the percentage of improvement resulting from my thymectomy. What I can report is that directly after the surgery, I never again had liquids go through my nose, never again lost my speech, and never again, had a high degree of difficulty chewing food. I did continue with some other problems.

My neurologist said, "At least the thymectomy is a chance!" Knowing my personality, and the stats, I suspect I would have regretted not taking that chance.

Keep hoping...no matter the treatment. We are what we think!

I wish I had a better answer for you...
Fortunatos is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote