Thread: Lonely Tonight
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 11:11 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleybrain View Post
It's such a hard balance-trying to be engaged with our family and world and yet trying to provide solace to our healing brains.
I think you nailed it right here. It is very difficult to balance our family/social life with this injury because we all fear it will cause a setback. I can relate to this personally just yesterday. It was mother's day and my sister was begging my mom, dad, and I to go to a concert together. Well of course my mom worrying about me asked me how I felt about going. Of course I didn't want to go as I knew it would be horrible for me. But I just couldn't say no.. I wanted my mom to enjoy mother's day and not have to alter her day because of me. Needless to say I ended up going and had a horrible time from the loud music, crowds, etc. I think a concert is probably the worst place you could possibly be with PCS. Luckily I found a spot in the back I could sit which made it so it wasn't as bad.

I am paying for it today. Not only did I get in bed late, but I had trouble sleeping and tossed and turned all night. Plus I had a few beers. Yesterday I was feeling GREAT.. almost like myself again. I even cooked a big mexican dinner for my family for mother's day. And today I'm groggy, tired, dizzy, foggy, and not feeling like myself. I just want to go rest. I am hoping this event did not cause a huge setback for me and it will only take a few days to recover. How depressing. I used to go to concerts all the time not thinking twice. Now it's such a struggle. And nobody really understands unless they've gone through this. BUT I'm staying positive because I feel I am on an upward trend. My physical therapy is helping and I feel with a quiet day of rest today I will get back to where I was and hopefully continue that upward trend.
I was in a snowboarding accident on January 19, 2013. I caught an edge on my snowboard while carving down the mountain without a helmet. I smacked the back of my head hard on the ground. I was not knocked out and it took about a week for symptoms to come into full effect.

Since my accident I have been in a cycle of feeling better and then relapsing. It has happened many times. Although I think the overall trend is slowly traveling up. My symptoms included headaches, anxiety, sensitivity to light and noise, dizziness, fatigue, confusion, trouble concentrating, brain fog, loss of social interest, irritability, and mood swings.

Many symptoms have since resolved and I am left with slight dizziness, sensitivity to large crowds and busy environments, small amounts of anxiety, and brain fog off and on.

I am currently under the care of a neuropsychologist at the UPMC Sports Medicine Concussion Clinic. I am also undergoing balance/vestibular physical therapy to help with my remaining symptoms.
Tpont21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DFayesMom (05-13-2013), Living_Dazed (06-04-2013), Mokey (05-13-2013), poetrymom (05-13-2013)