View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 08:51 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Re MRI showing these things....I am not an expert. My brain MRI did not show anything in that area. Apparently most don't. I am curious about a distinct MRI for the inner ear. I would have thought a brain MRI picks up those things? Maybe not. I have a neck MRI tomorrow (finally). Looking for the neck problems as I have limited mobility (getting better with therapies).

My neuro-opthamologist (sent from heaven!!) told me last week that I will continue to improve and this type of injury (brain stem, auditory and vision problems) can take a good 3 - 5 years. But I took that as good news as it gives us hope and a timeframe of sorts.
She herself had almost died from a massive brain hemorage (spellng!) a few years ago, was paralyzed, could not speak, etc. So she certainly is a living example of how the brain can heal! Hang in there!

What happened: Legs pulled forward by a parent's hockey stick while resting at the side of the rink at a family skate....sent me straight back. I hit the back of my head (with helmet) on the ice, bounced a few times, unconscious for a few minutes. September 11, 2011. Off work since then…I work part-time at home when I can. It has been hell but slowly feeling better (when I am alone☺).

Current symptoms: Vision problems (but 20/20 in each eye alone!) – convergence insufficiency – horizontal and vertical (heterophoria), problems with tracking and saccades, peripheral vision problems, eyes see different colour tints; tinnitus 24/7 both ears; hyperacusis (noise filter gone!), labyrinthian (inner ear) concussion, vestibular dysfunction (dizzy, bedspins, need to look down when walking); partial loss of sense of smell; electric shocks through head when doing too much; headaches; emotional lability; memory blanks; difficulty concentrating. I still can’t go into busy, noisy places. Fatigue. Executive functioning was affected – multi-tasking, planning, motivation. Slight aphasia. Shooting pain up neck and limited mobility at neck. Otherwise lucky!

Current treatments: Vestibular therapy, Vision therapy, amantadine (100 mg a day), acupuncture and physiotherapy for neck, slow return to exercise, magnesium, resveratrol, omega 3 fish oils, vitamins D, B and multi. Optimism and perserverance.
Mokey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon22217 (05-16-2013), MiaVita2012 (05-14-2013)