View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 07:46 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I agree with Ginnie. Make sure you get more than one opinion - 2 or 3 at least. Surgery is the last resort after all conservative measures have failed. I don't know if I can really give advice as I am only 8 weeks out from the same surgery. I had an ACDF on C4-7 on 3/19. I had severe spinal cord compression with the canal measuring about 5 mm at c5-6. As my neurosurgeon told me on several occasions, I was crushing my spine.

I really didn't have too many symptoms previous to surgery (which was why I was absolutely shocked by the results of my MRI). I had a little neck and pain in between my shoulders but my biggest complaint was numbness & tingling in my right thumb and pointer finger as well as the tips of my other fingers. So far, surgery hasn't fixed the numbness but I was told that it was still too early to tell if that will be permanent. I am still in the Aspen collar 24/7 and only drive up to 15 minutes per day where I live...no highways. I also still have a weight lifting restriction of 5 lbs. I go back next Thursday for my 2nd post-op appointment in which I will have an x-ray done. I'm praying they see some bone growth. I want this collar off. I also have a bone growth stimulator that I wear 24/7 as well. It is my understanding that I will continue to wear that for a while after the collar comes off.

At this point my physical activity is restricted to walking on flat surfaces...no inclines, hills, hiking, biking, running or pretty much anything else. We will see how long before I can begin adding in other exercise. I asked my neurosurgeon if I could run a 5K in July and was told absolutely no running for at least 6 months and we will revisit the issue then. I'm hoping I will be given the ok to run a few miles maybe 2 times per week, but who knows. At any rate, I have been walking 4-5 miles approximately 4 to 5 days per week. It is cathartic for me to get my heart rate up somewhat!

As for work, I was able to begin working from home less than 2 weeks after surgery. I began going in half days at 4 weeks and returned full time at 6 weeks. I work for a great company.

I guess that is it for now. Good luck with everything. I'll be thinking of you.
ChelKB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Annie1023 (05-15-2013), eva5667faliure (05-29-2013), mg neck prob (05-15-2013)