View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 09:57 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Managing mum's peripheral neuropathy - walking

Hi,
I registered with the forums because my mum (aged 82) has Peripheral Neuropathy and I think I need more advice and help than I can get through the NHS. Mum's been suffering for over a decade and her condition has slowly grown worse though she copes very well.

The thing that's really motivated me to do this is the need for some help from people living with the condition. Mum's been tripping rather a lot lately. Some of her carers who are wonderful, but not experts, have suggested that we exchange her carpets for wooden flooring. If it'll help we'll do it in a heartbeat, but I'm concerned that she'll be swapping a carpeted floor where she catches her feet for a slippery wooden floor - so in effect she'll just be swapping tripping for slipping and she'll still have the same number of falls but for a different reason.

Does anyone have any experience of whether a smooth solid flooring does help, or indeed any other footwear/socks whatever that help to prevent quite so many pirouettes as my mum calls them.

I'd be really very grateful for any advice.

Mel
mel1002 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote