View Single Post
Old 05-11-2007, 07:53 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

((((((PossumTrot),

I don't have any answers for you.

That's interesting about the ibuprofen though. I've been taking that for years. That's pretty much one of the few things that doesn't wreak havoc on my body and does give some relief.

My gastroenterologist did say a few years ago that he has a "feeling" that there's been so much damage caused by the ibuprofen that he doubts that he could successfully repair my hiatal hernia.

I was just remembering the commercial on TV where they say that 70% (??) of your immune system is in your digestive tract. Maybe your immune system just got fed up with ibuprofen and decided to revolt.

My sister-in-law didn't have any allergies at all until she became 50. Now she's allergic to tons of stuff. She has a hard time breathing in the Spring because of the different pollens and other tree and flower 'thingies' floating around.

It probably takes some of our bodies *TIME* to get allergic to 'stuff'.

I'd imagine that you probably are not going to be able to take the ibuprofen again. My understanding about allergies and hives (I have had hives from an eye ointment and from some physician's sample that the doctor gave me) is that you have to have the allergen in your system at least twice -- once to cause the sensitivity and the second and successive times to cause the allergic reaction. Now that your system is allergic to it, you probably won't be able to take it again.

It might be worthwhile to explore with an allergist exactly what in ibuprofen is causing the hives. It might be just a filler or something like that. Maybe if that did turn out to be the problem, you might be able to get your meds compounded by your pharmacist to exclude that particular filler or you might be able to switch to a different brand. I wouldn't try anything without the support of an allergist though -- hives can be life-threatening if they get into your throat and affect your breathing.

The other thing, too, is that there's so much research going on -- maybe there'll be a better drug or custom-designed drugs in the not-to-distant future. Got my fingers and toes crossed on that one

Good luck. Hugs.

Barb
moose53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote