View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 01:36 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Background of neck issues

I apologize for the length of this and thank you in advance for your help. A little background: I injured my neck in a water skiing accident at 16. I think it was just a bad sprain, but my parents didn’t take me to the doctor. I've had neck problems ever since with degenerative disc disease since my 20's. In 2010 I started having severe muscle spasms in my upper back with cramps in my hand and was referred to a neurologist. After an MRI and nerve conduction test, I was diagnosed with ulnar nerve impingement. He gave me a Prednisone dose pack, prescribed gabapentin and ordered physical therapy. That combination pretty much eased my pain except for the normal periodic neck soreness and stiffness. Then in late January of this year, I started having a stabbing pain in my upper back between my shoulder blades with burning nerve pain down my arm, numbness in my last two fingers and what feels like jolts of electricity running down my arm and hand. I’ve lost strength in my hand and I drop things frequently. I get the headaches that come from neck problems (I’ve also had a ringing in my ears this whole time). My neurologist quit practicing to teach at a local medical school so they assigned me a new one. She prescribed another Prednisone dose pack, physical therapy and flexeril. Flexeril knocks me out so I can’t take it while at work. The prednisone helped with the pain some, but not the numbness. Within 3 days of finishing the dose pack the pain was back just as bad as before. I have been through a total of four Prednisone dose packs since February of this year. The doctor ordered another MRI last month and when she got the report, referred me to a neurosurgeon. My appointment is Monday. I understand the medical terminology in the MRI report, I just don’t know how likely I am to need surgery. I really do not want to have surgery unless I’m at risk of paralysis or permanent nerve damage. I also want to make sure I ask all the right questions, so if you can guide me in any way, please share your expertise. It wouldn't take the MRI as an attachment, so I'll post it next.
ber237 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote