View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 10:34 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I haven't done it personally but what I have generally heard/read is that many people experience pain relief from acupuncture...but it only lasts while they are actually doing it and returns right after the therapy. For this reason, I didn't have it on my list of things to try. If I had heard about it having longer lasting effects...I might have considered it.

I'm very happy your daughter is in remission! That is really great.

I will say that in my opinion...doctors are much too quick to go for invasive procedures over other options for treatment of RSD. On the one hand...quick treatment is the best shot at remission usually so you want to treat aggressively in the first few months if you can get a diagnosis that quick. I also understand that these procedures are the things they know the most about and are trained in. But I wish more of them would have a better understanding of some of the other options too...especially for patients who experience spread or who have no luck with the more invasive procedure. So many are like, "Blocks don't work, let's do an SCS. SCS doesn't work, sorry I have nothing to offer you." Or, "You don't want an SCS, there's nothing I can offer you." It leaves so many of us frustrated and giving up hope when there ARE other options out there for treatment.

The two biggest things that helped me were physical therapy (including use of TENS unit) and tDCS. Neither is an invasive procedure (assuming you have the right sort of therapy) but both were key to getting me better. I'm not in remission...but functionally am SO much better than I was. Also, things like changing my diet, hot baths with Epsom salts, using heating pads, etc have also made a noticeable difference in my pain levels. I had to find out about all of these things on the internet (including the right sorts of exercises I should be doing and how to go about the physical therapy). Why don't doctors inform their patients of these sorts of things? How come even talking about physical therapy with most doctors they just Rx it but don't go over with you what you should be doing or what to expect or anything? They should KNOW these things and discuss it with their patients.

And there are other treatments out there too...I just can't really speak to them because I don't have the personal experience. But the point is that there are OPTIONS besides the standard blocks and such. I think about all the people who AREN'T on the internet and can't find sites like this one and educate themselves on the various treatment options. How many of them COULD be helped by these therapies but will never learn about them? So upsetting.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote