View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 12:59 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default 1st Rib Resection - Recovery Post-Op

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybro View Post
If you had surgery, how long were you off from work and when you did go back, did you have restrictions and for how long?
I am 18 days post-op, first rib resection (left side). Had surgery at Cleveland Clinic (very pleased with Dr. Daniel Clair). Because my recovery had been going so well (off pain meds within a week post-op), I tried to go back to work this past Monday (1 day short of 2 weeks post-op). That morning, I developed red warm tender spots/areas around my scar (not on my scar) and I could tell I had a fever when I went to work. I only stayed 3 hours and left to go to the doctor because I was getting kind of freaked out. Temp was 99.4. Doctor (local thoracic surgeon, not the doc that did my surgery) said it was either hematoma or seroma (i.e., clear fluid buildup), but he did not believe it was infection. Had an ultrasound the next day and it was just clear fluid. They aspirated it (outpatient) and it was no big deal. He wouldn't release me for work the rest of the week, so I will try again on Monday. Honestly, I think the extra rest and low stress has helped significantly. SO, TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION... This is only my opinion, and it of course depends on what kind of work you do, I think people should take 3 full weeks off after first rib resection surgery. Hope this helps!
marlalemons is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote