View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 01:57 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Welcome to NeuroTalk;

I find your post very interesting.

Do you know the actual level of B12 that you tested out at?

It is not very common for a person who is not taking supplements to test "very very high"... but without numbers, very very is not very helpful either. Just like doctors, who will tell you that you are normal when you test at 200pg/ml. (old range). 900 to a doctor using the ranges provided by labs still today may consider that very very high, and in reality it is not, biologically.

The value of the upper range for B12 is to point to potential problems before those show up with symptoms. Leukemias, liver disease, some cancers, intestinal dysbiosis (overgrowth of certain bacteria), and some kinds of kidney disease will present with levels over 1000 when no vitamins or fortified foods are being consumed. B12 is normally excreted via the bile daily, and some is lost that way every day. If the bile flow is impeded/blocked, then this does not happen. Some is also lost from the kidneys but if those are not functioning well, the B12 will not be excreted. Normally there is a ceiling of how much B12 you can absorb from food, since intrinsic factor has an upper limit of availability. Then from there the levels of transcobalamin, limit how much can be carried around in the blood. So getting too much from food is not likely. Supplements of B12 can be absorbed passively without intrinsic factor in the intestine if food is not present, and hence blood levels then can become fairly high depending on the dose consumed. People taking oral supplements of 1000mcg or more a day can easily eventually get levels over 1000 and maybe even higher.

Getting a good mechanical evaluation of the feet and ankles is always a good idea for people with foot discomforts and pain.
The trick is to find a good podiatrist.
I do not take any supplements at all - I had tachycardia and had to get off everything (it was SVT and had it ablated - my first nerve issue). Anyway, my levels tested at 1549 and 1448 for B12 (reference 200-600). B6 was high at 59 and 84 (reference 2.1-21.7) B5 was below 200 as well (ref 200-1800). I do not have any markers for cancer, liver problems, or any abnormal levels for any other tests they ran, which was pretty much everything you can think of from thyroid to catecholamines & metanephrines, CBC, every vitamin, neural disease...you name it. I also had breath testing for abnormal digestive bacteria...normal.

My intenist, at the center of it all, calls me "Miss Enigma"
taslucas is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote