View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 07:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Response to possible sz

I really appreciate your concern and information about the other tests that could help to figure all of this out. The problem is that my seizures happen so randomly, I've probably had six-ish grand mal seizures in the past five-ish years (I have an awful memory), and there seems to be no common thread amongst them.
I really feel like I need an autonomic system and/or cardiology work up because I know change in blood flow, etc caused by heart problems can affect brain activity to screw ups. I know that I frequently, at least lately, i have had week or more longer spells in which I finally become lucid, but look in thr mirror and am covered in bruises, cuts, scrapes, blood covering the bed, not to mention how unsteady I am, falling over and pulling every bit of furniture in my bedroom over just trying to steady myself. ... I guess that might be another reason to look into other possible Neuro tests; I am just beyond tired of hearing that nothing is fixed or

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkette View Post
Hi Amy,

I'm so sorry to hear that you have been having a hard time with the possible sz. The difference between an Epileptologist and a neurologist is that an Epileptologist specializes in epilepsy as well as other neurology disorders. Epileptologist can do simple tests like e.e.g.'s, MRI. CT scans PET and SPECT scans to find out what's causing the sz. and they will find the correct meds for your sz.
You should ask your family Dr. to refer you to see an Epileptologist which are usually at University or big hospitals. The Epileptologist will work with a neuropsychologist, as well as a neurosurgeon to help a person and control their sz. and if the person looks into brain surgery they work together as a group.
What I have been told to do is to get a calendar and write down what time I have a sz. with a description of the sz. by doing this the Dr. can often sz. a pattern in my sz. and he found that I have sz. early in the morning and on certain days of the month. This often happens with women do to hormones changing each month this type of sz. is known as a catemenial sz. also be sure to write down when you start and stop your monthly cycle. I've found that cell phones trigger sz. for me if I'm in a store with many people using cell phones it will cause a sz. do to the frequency the cell phone uses. Also stay away from anything with nutra sweet (aspartame) in it because nutra sweet has been proven to cause more electrical activity in a persons brain and it can trigger sz. for many people. I learned that after drinking diet soda.
If I may ask do you have your sz. when you go to bed or when you get up in the morning? If you do these are called myoclonic sz. If you happen to have a sz. and you see colors in your eyes, hear words said, or get a nervous feeling in your stomach this is an aura (simple partial sz.) that may lead into a complex partial or absence sz. but from what you have described I'm wondering if you may be having tonic clonic sz. also known as grand mal sz. this is when a person has convulsions and is out of it for a few minutes then they feel tired, have a headache, and want to sleep. You can get more info on different type of sz. if you check out Epilepsy Foundation.org or call them at 1-800-332-1000 they will send you info. in the mail or you can talk to someone who can explain in detail what may be going on. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue
amycompton is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote