View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 12:28 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default How much Rest to get? I'm so confused.

Hi,

I am 3 months in to PCS. My main symptom is horrible, constant headache pain.

I initially did an OK job at trying to get lots of rest, avoiding screen time, noise, etc. I am a hard core Type A personality, full-time working mom of 3. So, rest was never in my vocabulary, to say the least. Since then, I have tried to continue with the focused rest, but have often run errands, and of course, taken care of my girls. My husband has jumped in to help, but I still do lots (shopping, and lots of errands) - my fault, not his. At 2 separate points, I went to my parent's place for 2 week breaks to get more quiet and rest without the kids. I did still read a lot and watched tv in the evenings at their place.

At my last appointment with my neuro-psychologist, she said it is time to 'accept' the PCS and to make it a part of my family's culture. (Heartbreaking) However, after reading through some of the posts on here, I am sensing that I have screwed up - I was not getting enough rest by far - "pure" rest that is, and that maybe I should go back to trying to get more rest...such a struggle. I want to be a part of my kids and husband's life, but also want to get better. Trying to find the right balance seems to be hell.

I am hoping to make the following my daily schedule for the next few weeks to see if this will help - parents and experienced PCS folks, would love your 2 cents:

7:30 wake up with cuddles with kids...(best part of the day)
8:00 - 9:00 get kids off to school
9-5:30: REST - no tv, no reading..audiobooks and CBC, crocheting ONLY. Will continue with laundry (I find it soothing) and making dinner - everything else stops.
5:30-8: kid time - dinner, hopefully 'quietish' play with the girls and/or a quiet date with husband
8pm - crochet, audiobook, talk with hubby
10 - off to bed.

Interspersed in there are of course the dr appointments...and every weekend we will head to the cottage - it is much easier to rest there, just have to endure the drive there and back.

Thoughts???
skatemom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote