View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 06:53 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default It is a Big Change

I am currently 14 months pcs. I spent my first 12 weeks in a dark room doing nothing at all, no t.v. no reading, only CBC radio. My room became my quite buble and no noise or stress was to enter. I am a single parent of 4 - 3 still at home 15, 17 and 19. I had to depend on them to bring me meals, take over the finances and my whole life. I was a self employed bookkeeper who worked 60 hours a week, hockey manager for 2 teams and a daughter who involved in competitive dance. It was an enormous change and really hard in terms of isolation as all I had were teenagers who were never home and often forgot to feed me. Thank god for the neighbours who would come over and make me toast.

I actually tried to work the first week after my car accident, but the nauseau, headaches and dizziness killed me. I was then convienced to quit working and just rest, I was in tears, being self employed it also meant no money, my children are currently working and supporting me (thank god I had 4).

Your life will take on a new reality, it is not your old life it is totally new. I am very fortunate that I have alot of advice from occupational therapist and other professionals. I basically have planned activity followed by rest. I go to bed really early. I tried a 21 day mediation series which helped and restorative yoga. Watch out for the stress of the kids and you can't feel guilty. All the negative emotions are using up precious energy you need to recover. I feel bad that I have missed so many activities with my kids but there is nothing I can do about it and the best thing you can do for your kids is for you to get better.

I was told to figure out what 100percent that you can do is and then do half. Others have told me that if you feel worst you probably have done too much.

Here is what I now do in a day - get up at 7 - walk the dogs (20 minutes). Clean the kitchen (1/2 hour) eat and find a sitting down acitivty (maybe computer or sit outside). I will then do another hour of housework and picking up. In the afternoon I rest for an hour or two, I quite frequently fall asleep ( I usually listen to CBC radio). I get up and start dinner and maybe bake something. I clean up from dinner and go for another walk. I then find a resting activity for an hour and then I get up and do more activity. I now go to restorative yoga once a week and aqua fit once a week. Grocery shopping kills me so I do that every second week but I would get rid of that activity if I could for now.

I am better and have been able to do more but it is painfully slow and extremely isolating. Just keep putting one foot ahead of the other and be aware of what signs your body is sending.

Best Wishes.
NormaW is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon22217 (05-19-2013)