View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 08:58 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

ecmom,
Just adding on to something Chemar has written regarding other causes of tics and I totally agree and have seen it with my own eyes over the years...

An actual diagnosis of TS would usually only be made by ruling out other conditions. There aren't any tests for TS as such and it's really just a name of a condition that tends to follow a particular pattern or cluster of symptoms.

A diagnosis by someone such as a Neurologist would usually be made by observation and history and by ruling out other conditions.

There are actually quite a number of secondary causes of tics (Tourettism). Some medications and a number of health issues can cause Tourettism. There is also Stereotypic Movement Disorder and some people on the Autism Spectrum also have tics. Some of the movements of Sydenham's Chorea can be mistaken for tics as well. It's all very complex. I guess that's why I carry this idea with me all these years that it's really important for investigation in case there is some serious medical reason for the onset of tics.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote