View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 04:40 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveandTrust View Post
one saying that I have inappropriate judgement and insight in social situations with no further explanation- I honestly think they wrote inappropriate when they meant appropriate because I don't even drink and certainly don't use drugs! I've never gotten so much as a speeding ticket! How much lack of judgement must I have?

Okay, this one is my serious reponse

I'll start by saying thay my chronic pain has caused me to use inappropriate judgement. I should KNOW by now, that if I do too much, I will pay the price for it. I should KNOW that if I want to go someplace and I need to drive, I can't be in severe pain, so I need to make sure that I don't do anything too taxing for a few days before that. Do I DO that ? Ah.....NO ! I'll plan on not doing much and then I realize that there isn't much food in the house, so I have to get to the grocery store. That's good for a few days in bed right there. Then I miss the thing that I was supposed to try to drive through. Nevermind that getting to low on food wasn't the swiftest plan either..... That's ALL poor judgement.

Respectfully, I think your quote shows a lack of insight in this social situation. Using poor or inappropriate judgement doesn't have to be about being a druggie or getting in trouble with the law. It's definitely not about enjoying an occassional cocktail. Did the mention of a "social situation" lead you to assume the doc was referring to a party and implying wild behavior on your part ? That would be one extreme possible meaning of what he wrote. Where there is no supporting documentation to explain that, another health care professional would take the docs words just to mean that you are not always able to make the correct decision (like me, above) or take the wisest course of action. The lack of insight in social situations just means not "getting" or fully understanding what is being discussed.....just as it seems you assumed the doc was making an accusation, and not HELPING your case by defining some mental deficits. That is a lack of insight into the meaning of this situation. Does that make sense ?

I think a challenging part of having a disability claim including a mental health component and reading all of the documention is that it can appear to be a little insulting. We have to realize that if mental health issues are contributing to our disabilies, some things will be documented that don't sound like "admirable" qualities. I'm not PROUD that pain and stress cause me to use poor judgement at times, but I have to admit that it's true, for me. I don't know you well enough to SAY you also have this problem, but I can say that it would be highly unlikely that someone with chronic pain issues, depression, and anxiety doesn't exhibit poor judgement on occassion. That is part of documentation PROVING the diagnosis. Off the top of my head, some other words my therapist might use to describe my mood or affect could include: easily irritable, ruminates on small details, angry, lack of self worth, lack of energy, poor organizational skills (okay, I had that before I became disabled too), feels like a failure......All of those things are "negative" qualities, I'd prefer they didn't describe me, but they do. That all should be on an SSDI claim, if applicable.

Having my brain not work as well as it did before is part of my disability. It doesn't make me a stupid person, but it does make it very difficult for me to access that "smart" part of my brain through the fog, a lot of the time. That's part of the reason that I can't work. I feel "smart"/okay right now but not when I'm in bed, in pain, begging one of my kids to get me an ice pack and a pill to just make the pain stop. Talk about poor judgement.....sending the teenagers to juggle the narcotic bottles. NOT a good plan.

Okay, I'm blabbering, so I'll stop on that subject. Thew moral there is to try not to be offended by things the doc has to write to prove their dx and hopefully prove your claim of disability.

Regarding the mess of all of the misdiagnoses, a new doc can clear all that up by just referring to the correct dx's going forward and preferably, they could also write a little blurb to the effect of, "patient reports excessive worrying (trust me, that can only help your claim) about earlier misdiagnoses and incorrect documention of past medical professionals. Patient has X, Y, and Z diagnoses. Her symptoms are A, B, and C. These symptoms make her totally disabled and unable to work (this part means NOTHING to the SSA if written by itself) because she cannot tolerate INSERT IMPORTANT STUFF FROM YOUR RESIDUAL FUNCTIONAL CAPACITY FORM HERE. THAT is the part that proves disability to the SSA.

I can tell you that I saw a lot of similar documention errors and outright lies in my paperwork. The outright lies all seem to be from the doc I had to see for worker's comp. I might have expected him to minimize my complaints to say that I could work when I couldn't, but the just plain LYING, I don't get......like saying that I said I had no discomfort driving myself to the appoinment with him, proving I was able to drive, when WC had to provide transportation because I could not drive, so they paid for and sent their own taxi service to get me. What the heck ?

That type of stuff was most of my record for quite awhile, because my disabling condition is primarily what my WC injury was, so it was THEIR docs doing all of the documentation. Not very helpful in an SSDI claim.

The documentation changed after I demanded a doc of my chosing and I finally started getting some treatment to help manage the issue.

You don't get that removed from your SSDI application, you get better documentation from docs with a clue as you move forward.

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
LIT LOVE (05-21-2013), LiveLoveandTrust (05-21-2013)