View Single Post
Old 05-12-2007, 07:05 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursegirl View Post
Daniella, yeah I think you are on the right track with that vitamin combination. I wish you success!

Also - this is sort of a "theoretical" question to put out there for everyone.

Are the mega amounts of B12 helping us with PN because we are actually deficient....OR.......and this is just a thought I had........maybe huge amounts of B12 counteracts some sort of underlying problem that has yet to be discovered/identified in the medical community. You know......since docs don't really know how to treat neuropathy, they must not be 100% clear on all the causes/mechanisms.

I'm probably way off the deep end - but it was a thought I had!

Liz
The oral methylcobalamin is not typically absorbed well...you only get about 10% from it.
Injections of cyanocobalamin DAILY--which is what doctors do for the severely depleted patient (many of them elderly) may be done as an emergency effort (typically 7 days or less).

B12 and folate are involved with methylation reactions in the body. If you look up methylation you can see what a huge subject it is.
example:
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2000/...ort_b12_1.html

This is complex biochemistry.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote