View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 08:50 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default This is a good one to get excited about

And for a lot of reasons ranging from horny gila monsters under a desert sky to new territory with the promise of great riches to come. I watched it with great interest before it disappeared into the Clinic and am glad to see it return. I checked with File Mountain (aka my hard disk) and found that there was indeed a lot to the buzz. I will just touch on it here and will bring out more as time goes on if there is interest.

One thing is that, as noted above, the work is being pushed by the Cure Parkinson's Trust and its honcho Tom Isaacs who is sort of England's MJ Fox. Tom found out that he was thought to have PD and immediately went on the offensive with a scheme to walk around the coast of Britain to raise research funds. He accomplished it very well and set up a foundation which he directs. Totally patient controlled and dedicated to getting results not tenure.

There is also the fact that they have chosen to focus on an existing and approved drug. I see this as vitally important in that the time between something major being described and we PDers standing at our local pharmacy with a Script in hand drops from a few decades to a few weeks! My GP has already agreed that if things start looking even more positive that he will be happy to write the order for me.

I am going to try to pull together a summary of why and what. As I remember, there is a peptide produced when you eat. That peptide streams out into the system and begins to act as a stimulant for neurogenesis and as a neurtropic guide. But the peptide is destroyed almost immediately by an enzyme. When they were able to accomplish all those blocking actions in a mouse they found that they had some very happy little rodents with no PD to be seen. Thus the interest and the excitement. -Rick
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lindylanka (05-21-2013)