View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 10:36 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yes, I had a full sternal thymo-thymectomy in April 2012. Long story short, went on an out of state vaction July 2011, wasn't feeling well and had difficulty catching my breath. Thought it was bronchitis. (I did not have any MG symptoms). ER xray showed a large anterior mediastinal mass the size of a navel orange. Thoracentis also performed to remove 470 ml of fluid from my lung. Drove back home and was referred to a local hospital and had a biopsy Aug 2011. Results of biopsy after 5 weeks of waiting was an 'chronic, smouldering inflammatory mass' of unknown origin;not lymphoma or thymoma. Decision was to 'watch and see what it would do'. December 2011, presented to ER of a different hospital slurring words and could not control my right hand. Admitted and diagnosed in hospital with MG. Had plasmapheresis done pre-surgery. I had a 11.5 x 13.5 thymoma removed along with 20 lymph nodes. No cancer detected. Left phrenic nerve also removed because mass was wrapped around it. I still have bad days mixed in with the good. Would my bad days be worse without the surgery? I don't know for sure. I am very glad that I had the surgery. The recovery was humbling, but I felt well enough to go back to work full time at the end of a 5 week recovery period.
lurleen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Marin826 (11-21-2013), Mastas (05-22-2013), southblues (05-21-2013)