View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 07:34 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

First of all, a primary care doctor is not always the best to deal with the variables of this disease.
I would suggest a consultation with a neurologist who is familiar or who specializes in dementia/Alzheimer's.
My MIL is in the late mid stage of Alz...she's on a boat load of meds, starting with an Exelon patch. She is also on mirtazipine and alprazolam as well as quietapine. She is hallucinating more now, and gets quite cranky, quite unlike her "real" self.

All of these meds keep her from getting up in the middle of the night and undressing, talking through the night, etc. She is beginning a downward slope now since my father in law died in January. She is not eating or drinking much...she is also in hospice as she is exhibiting signs of heart failure.

The one thing to watch out for are Urinary Tract Infections. If dementia patients get dehydrated, they are more likely to get them, and it exacerbates the symptoms. Make sure she drinks plenty of water/liquids each day.

Also, there's lots of info on alz.org...

You are in my prayers. This is not a fun journey by any means. Patience is the most important virtue for caregivers. That and a good doctor to help manage the symptoms. Again, get her to a neuro...