View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 07:59 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Welcome Elizabeth 123...lots of info, support, laughs and whine parties here (sp intentional)...

Lumbar punctures are a way to diagnose MS, but it doesn't always definitively diagnose it. Mine turned out negative, but I did get diagnosed a year later.

When you have your lumbar puncture, this is very important----make sure you lie down the whole day except for bathroom breaks and meals. And drink lots of caffeinated drinks (I drank Monster drinks). Otherwise you will experience symptoms from the devil's lair...a professional basketball player from my home town (Chicago) had one, and was walking around the locker room afterwards. He ended up in the hospital several times with complications from the puncture.

It is a matter of crossing off other diseases as well as trying to confirm MS that is the confounding part of this disease. Keep a symptom journal with dates of onset of symptoms and dissipation. Also keep a list of questions for your doctor to bring with you. And if you can, bring someone with you...a second set of ears is helpful to remember the information discussed.

Most importantly, LIVE YOUR LIFE...do NOT let this disease take over. Every day is precious, though unpredictable at times. None of us is guaranteed tomorrow, so make the best of today, no matter how crummy you feel. If you can't find energy to do things, lie down and read, do puzzles, watch a funny movie. Make the most of it...MS has brought me some pretty crummy days, but it has shown me the support and love from friends and loved ones as well, and I try to make the most of life (well...most of the time)

Keep us up to date...know that you're not alone.
SallyC (05-22-2013)