View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 01:38 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdolphin View Post
1. Had mine at the age of 51 1/2, 9 weeks after first MG symptom (ptosis).
2. My CAT scan showed hyperplasia but size not known.
3. Had full sternal thymectomy, not many cardiothoracic surgeons in Orlando will do Davinici/robotic. My thymus was 9 1/2 cm by 9 1/2 cm, very erratic shape, no thymomas.
4. Ptosis disappeared within a couple of weeks, stopped Mestinon a few weeks later, and have been symptom free every since.
I've met a couple of people whose CAT scan results were a bit different than the surgery result. (One of the men I met at a local support group had his out this past February, his thymus was 11cm by 27 cm, twice as big as CAT scan showed).
My sternum pain was easily controlled with painkillers. I was in the hospital post surgery for 4 days, would have been out in 3 if I hadn't developed heart arrythmias which went away a couple of weeks later. The worst part of recovery, for me, because of the sternum pain, was not being able to sleep on my side.
I am in Orlando too (Maitland)... Who are your doctors? I am seeing Dr. Boyer to possibly do the surgery. He said they haven't been doing it very long. My neuro is Dr. Isa in Maitland. Thanks for the encouragement!!!
Mastas is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote