View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 11:41 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Erin I remember how I felt when I finally got that letter from Social Security granting my disability. I mean I had prayed, worked hard, payed a lawyer, wanted it so bad and here it was. And it said permanently disabled. It hit me hard. Here I was, barley 53, in the prime of my career, making good money. Permanently disabled. What a label. But then I realized some of the things I did before I realized I was sick. I had hiked around the Grand Canyon, I HAD worked full time. I did that while I had MS and never realized it. So I must still have something in me. Yes, you do have to redefine yourself. Find out who you are again, who you can be. I once met a lady who had had MS for many years, completely wh/ch bound. She couldn't even transfer herself to the commode yet she and her husband had developed a wonderful new occupation for the two of them. They had a full and wonderful life. They just had to take the time to reasses who she was and what she COULD do rather than what she COULDN'T do. Now I realize you are younger but there are still many opportunities out there for you.

The first time I rented a scooter was for Disney World. I wouldn't have been able to see Disney World with my grand kids at all. I can't imagine not being able to do that. But just sucking it up I had a wonderful time. And my little grand daughter had an extra seat to ride on occasionally! When we went to the mountains for our vacation this year I was able to hold her on my lap and help her as she took her first ride up a tramway to get to the top of the mountains. She was scared to death, but she had a Grandma that could hold her on her lap with her arms tightly around her and help her through it. Plus we were able to get on the tram first and sit right in front of the window. There are perks!!!!

doydie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote