View Single Post
Old 05-12-2007, 09:08 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default A rude awakening

The pride thread by Chris66 has had me thinking a lot about what makes us want to help others, and what makes us want to refuse help. It's a tough nut to crack and I'm sure we have many unique situations among us.

I recently met a friend whose MS is rearing its ugly head at her in many similar ways as mine does me. I have one speed, slow. My friend is stuck in the creeper gear too, and as often as I refuse help and get annoyed by others who want to help me do things faster, I found myself eager to jump in and help her somehow.

The feeling that I needed to somehow help her, with no regard for the reality that I can do no better, really sunk in on me. I felt rather muddled as it struck me that my thoughts leapt so quickly to the "fix-it" mode when I, myself, detest that kind of treatment.

I've had an awakening of compassion for those around me in my daily life. There is an enormous sense of powerlessness that I'd never before recognized. I think I felt much the way my family and friends must feel as they watch me decline and have no way to slow or ease my progression. I can only imagine the frustration they must feel, knowing how frustrated I can get, and how much more I've accepted this lot in my life than they.

I think I've just walked a mile in the others' moccasins.

For every day I choose to play,
I set aside a day to pay.
—AMN

"Sometimes plastic wrap just won't cling, no matter how much money you put in the meter."

—From the Book of True Wizdom
AfterMyNap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote