View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 09:46 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southblues View Post
As far as mestinon causing diarrhea, you can take imodium (loperimide). It doesn't cross the blood brain barrier, so it doesn't make you drowsy. It has saved my life for sure.
I have Celiac's so I can't take the bromides. I had an awful rash. Mestinon was pure misery for me, and it just never worked right.

I saw my neurolgist yesterday. He put in orders with the pharmacy at his hospital and they are going to try to import mytelase. I had mentioned to my oncologist that I was having trouble getting mytelase and she replied that they imported cancer medications from overseas all the time and there was no reason they couldn't import the Mytelase. First person I met who thought there was a way to do it. My oncologist and neurologist are friends and I know they talked about my case and the problem getting mytelase. Who knew getting cancer would come in handy?

So long story short the pharmacy at the hospital does the importing and they are going to see if they can find a way to import mytelase.

What I learned is Neurologist rarely import drugs and have no idea how to do it. Oncologists import cancer medications weekly and know exactly how it's done. So tell your neurologist to contact the oncologist he knows and ask how they do it. The nurse practitioner usually does this, at least in the US. And use the hospital pharmacy or the one the oncologist uses. You want a big pharmacy that imports regularly, not your local pharmacy. Once the drug gets to the big pharmacy they can mail your meds to you.

Your neurologist will need to write a letter saying why you need this drug and that there is no other treatment that will do. That letter will have to go to the out of the country pharmacy to be included in the package with the medication. And they must ship it either UPS or FedEx. If you don't use one of those two shippers the drug will not arrive in a timely mannor.

I have no guarentee this will work. But it does seem worth trying. Everyone will have to try this route for themselves. I wish I had found a way to just straighten out this mess for everyone.

I will keep everyone informed with what I learn.
reynolds_km is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote