View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 12:35 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I had a sternotomy in 2009. After 12 days of progressive symptoms, I ended up in the ER. An X-ray showed a large mass in my chest, then a CT scan indicated that it was a large thymoma. Next came a MRI which showed a thymoma that was so large it was attached to my lung sack on one side and my heart sack on the other. There was no question I was headed for surgery.

I really don't remember much of the time frame that happened. First because once they said chest surgery I have to admit my brain shut down, and then I not only have MG but also SPS so removal of the thymoma hasn't helped my physical condition. I have never been in the hospital in my life at 54 years old. I do remember that I was in incredible pain after surgery to the point that the nurses told me I was using the morphine pump too much which you can't do.

Also because the thymoma was so large it was considered a stage 5 which is almost always cancerous. They had not completed the pathology report nor had I recovered from the surgery when they wanted to start radiation treatment. Thankfully my husband would not allow that until a full pathology study was finished. It was not cancerous after all.

All this to say if you decide not to have the surgery now, please keep a check on your thymus gland to make sure it doesn't start growing. Mine seemed to have grown in such a short period of time. I have had a physical every two years which included a chest X-ray and it has never shown anything questionable.

Good luck.

Southern Bell
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mastas (05-25-2013)