Thread: Advice please
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 01:41 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Do you have the MRI report, by any chance? I'd like to see it if I could. It would be much easier to give you advice if i could see the report.

I can tell you the degenerative disc disease IS normal and everyone gets it. What it is, is drying out of the discs. As we age, they dry out and flatten. And when they flatten, they tend to bulge and that can cause them to push on nerves and that can HURT. Some will even herniate, but that does NOT necessarily mean pain. There are millions of people walking around on this earth with herniated discs and they don't even know it. Weird, huh? It's just we're the "lucky" ones that happen to get the pain. Our discs end up pushing on the nerves and causing extreme pain!

If you cannot get the MRI report, from what you've told me I would suggest physical therapy. Do NOT rush to have surgery!!! Surgery should be a LAST RESORT after all conservative methods have been exhausted! Not only that but surgery is ONLY for mechanical problems. It usually will NOT ease your pain. You will be left with the same pain or worse after surgery. Plus there is the "domino effect" after surgery. The levels above/below the surgery site will FAIL due to having to take on more of the load, and that will mean MORE surgery. It's a vicious cycle, and it goes on and on. The doctors don't tell you this.

So opt for physical therapy for as long as you can. It is usually very effective. Please let us know how you come out. And if you CAN get the MRI report, please post it here, okay? God bless & please take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote