View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 12:21 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Rest is incredibly important in order for the brain to heal. I would not be overly concerned about sleeping too much at this point. After a brain injury, the brain can produce an excess of glutamate, an excitatory amino acid. This can cause irritability, anger and anxiety as well as sensory overload. Increasing Gaba helps to offset this, as it is an inhibitory amino acid, and has a calming effect. You can try taking a Gaba supplement. I have found it to be beneficial. To combat fatigue, I take Nulife Energy, which has a combination of different types of ginseng and other energizing supplements in it. I usually take this before I go to work to help me get through an eight hour shift. Green tea also helps with energy, and has a calming effect due to the l theanine in it. I am currently experimenting with taking Curcumin, as it is said to decrease inflammation in the brain. It also has an effect similar to ibuprofen and other NSAIDS, and may help to decrease pain. The pain around your eyes could be due to occipital neuralgia. I had severe pain in my scalp and behind my eyes after my car accident. This went away after about six months. Some of my PCS symptoms resolved after a few months, others took a few years. I still have some residual issues i.e. dizziness, balance problems, impaired cognition. Everyone's rate of recovery is different.
dare2bdifferent is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mokey (05-24-2013)