View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 07:34 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi RHY,

I am in the dental field and will offer you my thoughts here. I am posting your questions and my reply in bold.

<<1 - I am still experiencing dry-socket like pain that goes from the bottom extraction sites to my ears. It is DEFINITELY not as intense (I've never experience pain like dry socket pain) but it's still annoying. It feels like I have an infection in both ears or like there is pressure causing the pain. I do have some sinus drainage that usually accompanies my sinus pain, but the whole ear thing is not normal for me. Is it normal that my jaw still feels sore and the pain is in my ears this long ( over 2 weeks ) after my surgery?>>
YES, IT WOULD BE NORMAL FOR YOUR JAW TO STILL BE SORE. THE PAIN IN YOUR EARS CAN BE DUE TO SEVERAL THINGS. ONE IS INFLAMMATION AND ANTHER IS TMJ. BOTH AGAIN WOULD BE NORMAL AFTER WISDOM TOOTH EXTRACTIONS. THE SINUS DRAINAGE AND SINUS PAIN MAY OR MAY NOT BE RELATED TO THE EXTRACTIONS. IF THAT PERSISTS OR IF YOUR EAR PAIN WORSENS, THEN SEE THE ORAL SURGEON FOR EVALUATION.

<<2 - I *still* can't open my mouth 100% all the way. It's getting better, which is a good sign, but it still feels tight. Is that good or no?>>
NORMAL. DON'T TRY TO FORCE IT AS THAT WILL IRRITATE THE MUSCULAR AREAS AND THE TMJ JOINT. DO NOT OPEN MORE THAN IS COMFORTABLE. AS THE INFLAMMATION SUBSIDES, THE JAW WILL OPEN FULLY AGAIN. IF YOU FORCE IT YOU COULD CAUSE SPASMS IN THE MUSCLE AND THAT WOULD BE PAINFUL AND DIFFICULT TO RELEASE.

<<I guess my biggest fear(s) is that something else is wrong - infection, something happened with my sinuses, etc. I just can't believe that I'm still experiencing these aches, although they are dull, after the surgery. The dentist told me that I didn't need to flush my dry sockets any more, only rinse. The dry sockets were STILL acting up even up to a day ago, but are progressively getting better.>>
IF YOUR SYMPTOMS ARE NOT IMPROVING, THEN SEE THE ORAL SURGEON. OTHERWISE ALL THAT YOU HAVE WRITTEN IS NORMAL FOR MANY PEOPLE

I hope this has been reassuring to you. By now hopefully you are feeling even better!!
Bryanna

I am getting better each day, thank you!! the sinus drainage and pain has subsided, so I don't think it was related, just like you said. Thanks again!!
RHY1231 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bryanna (05-24-2013)