View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Sadieyaa,

Your symptoms of a dry socket are expected.... the pain will radiate to other areas. The good news is that the site will eventually heal. But it can take a few weeks and hopefully your symptoms will lessen every day. If for any reason they intensify, go back to the oral surgeon.

In the meantime....
No smoking because it contributes to dry socket and deprives the oral tissue of oxygen. No drinking alcohol until the socket is closed because alcohol in any form will also contribute to dry socket as it reduces the salivary flow and irritates the oral tissue.

Keep your mouth very clean. Thoroughly brush and floss all of your teeth. Do not rinse with any mouthwash like Listerine because it will irritate the surgical site and slow down the healing response... could even prevent the site from healing completely. Rinse with warm salt water 3 x's a day until the surgical hole is closed.

Eat a nutritious diet, no sugar or sugar substitutes, no soda (diet or otherwise), rich in veggies, low sugar fruit and protein. Drink plenty of filtered water throughout the day as this helps to eliminate bacteria and toxins that build up in the renal system after surgery. All of these things will help in the healing process and can speed it along.

Do not try to clean anything out of the socket. Just avoid eating there and keep your mouth clean with proper oral hygiene and salt water rinses.

I hope you feel better soon!
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadieyaa View Post
I too had a tooth extracted over a week ago. I was dx with dry socket and I have been in excruciated pain ever since. My OS performed debridement and irrigation but never packed it or provided me with a syringe to clean out socket. It has been 2 days since my debridement (more than a week since the extraction) and I still have pain (not as bad but still pretty painful). In addition I have pain that starts in the extraction site all the way to my ear. I also wonder how long the pain lasts or if there is something else wrong - even another dry socket (which I dread). At any point did your other teeth ache? My extraction was a bottom molar and I even have pressure in my upper teeth...
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote