Thread: Dental Implants
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 08:52 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I would definitely do a lot of research and before making any decisions about whether to go forward with this surgery you should ask yourself:

Is it worth the risk of spread of RSD to your mouth?

I can't speak for your own situation, but this year I have finally started the process of getting a lot of work done in my mouth...and I need a LOT. I've had to have 7 teeth pulled this year all together...most because they needed root canals and I have heard that is a no-no with RSD...better to just get them pulled so that's what I did. One was a tooth that broke off at the gum line.

In MY case, I decided to go with bridges instead of implants. I don't know if this is an option for you...but in my case it definitely felt like the safest route to go. My next choice would probably be to go for dentures rather than have an implant done because of my concern over the risk of spread. Admittedly...spread could also be caused by a simple tooth extraction...but I'm playing the odds in this decision and it's what I'm most comfortable with (and since I've had a significant amount of spread already it's a pretty big concern for me).

I also want to mention that I went to a sedation dentist for all of the work I've had done this year, including the tooth extractions and both dental bridges that were put in. I think this has made it a lot easier on me being "knocked out" for the procedure.

Just be very firm with your dentist on what you will and will not do and they can usually work around it. There are so many options out there these days with bridges, implants, snap-on smile things, etc...there's something they can do that will hopefully work with your budget and also with what you are comfortable with as a patient with RSD. Do your research and make sure you are comfortable with the risks you are taking regarding spread before you make any final decisions.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote