View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 11:09 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Lightbulb Help post op

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto,Canada View Post
Thank you everyone for the suggestions!!

I saw my thoracic surgeon this morning, for the pre-surgical consult. Turns out they are doing 2 surgeries at once.

Thankfully, I will be admitted for a minimum of 5 days, due to my medical history (allergies to: NSAID, Fentanyl (most common pain med given in surgery). and the fact i'm immune to most pain meds other than hydromorphone (and that barely works).

When I asked about length of time off work. He said 2-3 weeks I should be good enough to return to work (hmmmm I wonder if that is accurate).

I am DEFINITELY taking 'kellysf' & 'BDBomg' advice on using a sling!! today alone i got bumped into 4 times!! (hurt like a *****, had a few tears drop - blamed it on the rain haha).

nowwww it's the waiting game.... for the date of surgery....

Thank you again!!! if anyone has any other info/suggestions re: TOS surgery please let me know!!!

I believe from your post that you live in Canada and I am unaware of their policies for help. I told my Dr. that I will have NO help which concerned me to no end. I called my insurance company (Medicare and AARP supplement) and asked what the circumstance would be for me to either go to a re-had after the hospital or have someone from the VNA (Visiting Nurses). The told me that you must be in the hospital 4 days, not come out on the 4th day, be in the hospital a full 4 days in order to qualify for the re-hab and your doctor must request it in writing. I will be in 2 days. The qualifications for the VNA are the the doctor request it. When I told the doctor I would have no help he said, don't worry at all about it. When you are in the hospital the VNA will come to you and make the arrangements. My insurance co said you are allowed to have the VNA 1-8 hrs a day depending upon need. I surely hope this can help you because I know the fear and insecurity of feeling alone without help. Let me know what you find out about getting help because now I'm worried about you. Maybe you were unaware there may be help. Don't be afraid to ASK for HELP, please.

Irisheyesmilin
irisheyesmilin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote