Thread: My TOS story
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 03:06 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri_TOS View Post
Isa,

My 1st bout with TOS arose due to a car accident. For me, my arm was unusable from day 1 after the car accident. My whiplash type symptoms subsided over the course of the next 1 1/2 yrs but the TOS symptoms went in the opposite direction. By the time the doctor listened to me about my lack of arm/hand function (9 months post-mva), the nerve damage was severe enough to show up on EMG/NCV. Yes, whiplash can cause TOS because the scalenes are involved.

At this point, I am > 8 years post op on this side and I am symptom free. I have some obvious muscle atrophy in the hand but I don't notice any limitations due to this.
Thank you so much for your message. I am glad to hear that >8 years post op you are symptom free. This is very reassuring for me since I will have my surgery in about 3 weeks...and I read also some terrible stories.

My case is almost similar. I had whiplash after the car accident but that susided quite fast. But then I started to have nerve pain and weakness in my hand. Things worsened in the past months. Here in Switzerland, for social security reasons and to prevent litigation, doctors don't want to admit that TOS can be a consequence of a car accident.
SwissMiss is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote